Broom Clean Information
When you move out of your room, please make sure to leave it in a “broom clean” condition; an industry standard in residential facilities management. This means:
- all personal items have been removed from the room, bathroom, common areas, and the hallway outside your door;
- the refrigerator, microwave, oven and freezer have been emptied;
- all cabinets, dressers, closets have been emptied; and
- all trash has been removed from the room/suite/apartment and disposed of properly.
If you have any maintenance concerns or issues in your room please submit a FIXit request today. Note: Submitting a FIXit request prior to spring move-out for a damanged item in your room DOES NOT mean you will not be charged for those damages.
Any student who wishes to take responsibility for causing damage to their room should either complete a traditional check-out or email GW Housing at firstname.lastname@example.org with their name, GWID, building, room number, a picture of the item they damaged and a letter taking responsibility for the damage.
Additionally, any student who does not return their key(s) at the time of check-out will be assessed a $150 re-core charge. Keys cannot be returned by mail.
Once all residents have moved out, your room will be inspected a final time and fees may be assessed and placed on your student account for the following:
- damage to the room beyond normal wear-and-tear
- not leaving the room in broom clean condition
- not returning room or mailbox keys
ANY Fees incurred WILL BE PLACED ON YOUR STUDENT ACCOUNT as follows:
- $250 per student fee for additional cleaning*;
- $150 fine for improper checkout fee (charged to any student who has not moved out by the date and time the residence halls close); and
- $150 per student for a missing or unreturned room key.
- Charges for damages to the room are assessed based upon the extent of the damage and is divided by the number of students in a room
- If a room has damages, the cost for repairing that damage will be split equally between the roommates unless one person takes responsibility for that damage. N
*The broom clean charge is a per student fine, it is not the cost of removing items and cleaning the room. Students will be notified by mid-June via their GW email address if they have any move-out related charges.
As students are cleaning and packing, take advantage of our Green Move-Out program in May, which provides students an opportunity to donate their unwanted items to non-profit organizations in the DC area.
For students who are assessed a damage charge or broom clean fine, there will be an appeal process.
- All students who wish to appeal a charge must appeal individually, one student cannot appeal on behalf of an entire room.
- Appeals based solely on the fact that a student was not the last person to move-out of the room will not be granted.
- Students utilizing the express check-out option are not eligible to appeal damage charges or broom clean fines.
- All communication regarding move-out charges will be sent to your GW email account
Want to know more about what Broom Clean is? Check out this video or these pictures!
Still have questions? Your Resident Advisors and House Managers are on hand for assistance.