First-Year Housing FAQs


What do I need to do before I can apply for housing?

  • Make your deposit to The George Washington University; there is not a separate housing deposit required.
  • Retrieve your GWID
  • Activate your PIN
  • Create your NetID and GW e-mail address
  • More information can be found on the Admissions website.

Where is the First-Year Housing Application located?

  • The First-Year Housing Application will be available late April - mid-May via GW Housing e-Services.
  • The GW Housing e-Services link is always available on the GW Housing website.

What is my Net ID?

  • Your GW Net ID is a single username with a corresponding password that gives you access to the MyGW Portal, GWireless, GWemail, GW Calendar, Blackboard and other GW systems (here is a complete list). You can also use your NetID to request personal web space (Acad) or research space or to access computer labs on campus. Your NetID will be the portion of your GW e-mail address that precedes the @ symbol. (For example, if you create a NetID of janedoe, your GW e-mail address will be [email protected] if you are a faculty or staff member, or [email protected] if you are a student or alumnus.)
  • You can claim your NetID online at IT Support Services.
  • It will take 24 to 48 hours for your Net ID to be imported into the housing system. You will not be able to access your application until this has occurred.

How do I find my RMS ID?

  • You can find your RMS ID on GW Housing e-Services. Once you have logged in, select the "RMS ID Lookup" button.

I am having problems accessing the housing application.

  • Ensure that you that you have made your deposit to the university and it has been processed. This can take a few days.
  • Make sure that you have created a NetID and that you have waited 24-48 hours for it to sync with our housing system.
  • The application works the best on the Chrome browser. Make sure you are running the latest version of any browser you are using and that pop-up blockers are turned off.
  • If you continue to have technical issues, contact GW Housing at [email protected] or 202-994-2552. Our office is open Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm EST.

How does the housing assignment process work?

  • The housing system uses a random selection process, meaning that it will randomly select an application and then look at the preferences listed.  If your first preference is available at the time your application is pulled, you will be assigned to that space. If it is not available, the system will look at your next preference and see if that space is available and then assign you there. This process continues until you are assigned. If you have requested roommates, the system will assign you together as long as there are enough spaces together available.
  • The system will consider all unselected preferences as your last choice and place you into any available space. Not selecting a building or room preference does not mean that you will not be assigned there.

Are housing assignments made on a first come, first serve basis?

  • No, you can complete the application at any point before it closes and it will not affect the order in which you are assigned.
  • If you apply after the deadline, you will be assigned after students who completed the application on time.

Why do I have to list so many room preferences?

  • Selecting a higher number of room preferences gives you more control over where you are placed. If you have only selected three room preferences and they are all filled at the time your application is pulled, every other room type will be treated as your final choice and you will be placed into any available room. Having more room preferences means that our system has a better idea of your choices from top choice to last choice. If you do not list any preferences, you can get assigned to any space on campus.
  • Not listing room types on either the Foggy Bottom or Mount Vernon campuses do not mean that you will not get assigned there.
  • We also recommend thinking about the housing experience you would like to have. If it is important to you to be in a double room, then list all double rooms on both campuses before listing any larger rooms. If you would prefer one campus over the other, list all room types available on that campus before listing any from the other campus.

What are the most popular residence halls?

  • The popularity of residence halls changes from year to year and each residence hall offers a unique housing experience. Typically, double units in Foggy Bottom Halls and single rooms in West Hall are highly preferenced.

I am not happy with my housing assignment, how can I change rooms?

  • GW Housing has a system called Room Swap, which is designed to give you, the student, the chance to find and swap to the room you've been looking for. The Room Swap Process will allow students to connect with other students on campus looking to change rooms.  Room swap will be available beginning on assignment release day through the first Friday in August. It will then re-open after the first three weeks of each academic semester. The Room Swap process is available to all students wishing to swap room assignments who do not live in a specialty housing option.
  • These swaps are processed daily throughout the summer.
  • Housing will be extremely full for first-year students, so it is unlikely GW Housing staff will be able to move you into a different room on campus as we do not expect to have vacant spaces available in first-year halls.

Can I cancel my housing? Is there a fee?

  • First-,second-. and third-year students are required to live on campus unless they have been approved for a Residency Exemption.
  • Students are able to cancel their housing if they are not attending GW and there is no cancellation fee.
  • Students who cancel their housing after they have moved in will be subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the Housing License Agreement.

I need special accommodations for housing, what should I do?

  • GW Housing works closely with Disability Support Services (DSS) to find a configuration of space that fits the accommodation needs of students who have medical or disability concerns regarding their housing. Students must register with DSS prior to the housing application process.
  • Students who have other accommodations needs or questions should visit the Housing Resources page to find the correct staff person to contact.

Can I live off campus?

  • All first-, second-, and third-year students are required live on campus. However, there are situations where students do qualify for a Residency Exemption. Common situations include students commuting from home, student who are married, student veterans who are over 20 years old, and students who have children. For more information, please review the Residency Requirement policy.
  • Requests for Residency Exemption should be made prior to applying for housing and must be made before a student receives their housing assignment.