welcome home to gw!
Notification of Assignment
Students moving into GW residence halls for the first time in Spring 2022 will be notified in early December 2021 of their assignment. This notification will include instructions on how to sign up for a Spring 2022 move-in time and other logistics associated with moving into GW!
Things to Do Before Move-In Day
- Once you have received your housing assignment email, confirm your attendance through GW's online self-check-in tool. Students MUST complete online check-in a minimum of 48 hours prior to their arrival on campus or they will not have access to their residence hall and/or room. Additionally, students who are picking up a GWorld Card from a hub site MUST be able to show their online check-in confirmation email. Students who do not complete the online check-in process will have a minimum 1-2 hour delay before they will be able to enter their residence hall as they will have to wait until their GWorld card can be activated before they can move in.
Verify that all of your personal belongings are insured either through a renters/homeowners’ insurance policy or consider purchasing coverage.
Review and pay your housing and tuition bill prior to coming to campus.
Your Room Assignment and Roommate(s)
You can view your room and roommate assignments at any time on our E-Services Portal!
Spring Early Arrivals
Students who need to arrive before our January 8 & 9 move-in days are encouraged to apply for the spring early arrival process. Spring early arrivals are only granted for students with significant financial travel hardship and/or quarantine needs in accordance with GW COVID-19 protocols.
Packing and Shipping
- Plan for what to bring to college.
- Please keep in mind there are some items that are prohibited in the halls. These items will be confiscated if found during routine health and safety inspections conducted by Campus Living and Residential Education staff.
- Pack all cables and manuals for your electronic devices.
- Lighten your load by shipping your belongings to GW for move-in.
Things to Do on Move-In Day
Move-in day is an exciting day for all of our new residents! Review our tips below to make your move-in process as smooth as it can possibly be!
- Check the Campus Advisories Page before you arrive.
- Know where you're going and print your campus map of Foggy Bottom or Mount Vernon before arrival.
- Have your GWorld card in hand—you’ll need the card to access your hall and to purchase meals and services.
- Park first.
- Recognizing the scarcity of on-street public parking in downtown DC, each residence hall will be assigned a specific parking garage to use on your scheduled move-in day.
- Please park in the garage assigned to your residence hall. Complimentary parking is available for 3 hours. Because of the scattered arrival times, we are not able to secure parking in front of the residence hall buildings. Please do not unload your belongings on the sidewalk.
- Be sure you have completed your online self-check-in to ensure you have access to your building and room.
- Pick up any packages that you mailed to GW at Mail & Package Services.
- Report any repair issues through our FixIt system.
- Get connected to the Internet by connecting wirelessly to the GWireless WiFi Network.
- Think Green! Break down your moving boxes and bring them to designated recycling areas or take them home for reuse. Also, consider energy-efficient items for use in your residence hall room. Visit Sustainability at GW to find out more ways to get involved with the green mission at GW.
Final Tips for a Successful Move-In
- Label all packages and bags with your name, hall, and room number.
- Know where you're going and how to get there by printing directions and maps before leaving home.
- Obey all DC parking and traffic signs to avoid getting a ticket.
- Bring a hand truck if you have one.
- Never leave belongings unattended.
- Don’t forget your patience!
- Plan for the weather.
- Remember that commonly-needed items are conveniently available at retail stores nearby.