All undergraduate residence halls will close on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at noon. Only students with prior approval for extended stay housing or who are living in GW Summer & Conference Housing are allowed to stay beyond this time.
Check Out Information
I. Prepare for Departure (complete as soon as possible)
1. Submit any work requests via FixIt for damages in the room. Submitting a FixIt request does not mean students will not be charged for damages.
2. Ensure the room/apartment will meet “Broom Clean” standards
Key Depot, Support Building
2025 F Street, NW, Washington, DC 20052
- Key Depot is open 24-7
- ONLY Express Check Out at this location
GW Housing, Philip Amsterdam Hall
2350 H Street, NW, Washington, DC 20052
May 17th & May 22nd hours are from 9:30am-12:30pm
- Cart Check Out
- Traditional Check Out
- Express Check Out (M-F from 9:30am-5pm ONLY)
Key Depot, Somers Hall
2100 Foxhall Road, NW, Washington, DC 20007
Only available through May 17th at 12:30pm
- Cart Check Out
- Traditional Check Out
- Express Check Out
Move Out Procedures
- Watch for information from your Resident Advisor or House Manager and ensure you understand the room departure, "broom clean" and key return requirements for move-out.
- Ensure you understand the room check out process (traditional or express check out) and "broom clean" standards.
- Participate in GW’s Green Move Out. Don’t leave any items in your room -- make sure your unwanted clothing, goods and reusable products are recycled in the designated locations in order to make a difference in the community.
Mail, Packages, Shipping, and Storage
- Update your permanent and current address information in GWeb by May 1, 2017 so that your mail can be forwarded in a timely manner.
- Make plans for storage and/or shipping services for your belongings. By shipping your packages from FedEx and UPS, rates will be approximately 20 to 60 percent lower than using other carriers. You may take advantage of these savings for personal shipping by visiting GW Mail and Package Services located at 2025 F St., NW, at Foggy Bottom.
- If you contracted directly with RCN for upgraded HDTV or DVR Cable TV service, you must contact RCN at 1-888-726-4981 to arrange for the return of this equipment. Failure to do so will result in a charge from RCN for the equipment.
- Complete your GW financial and registration transactions before you depart campus.
- Apply for summer housing if you are planning to stay on–campus for the summer.
- If you have been issued a plug lock for your appliances, please return the lock before your departure to the Office of Health & Safety at 2025 F Street, NW, Suite 101. Plug locks that are not returned will result in a $25 fine.
- Make sure that your room is "broom clean", this means all personal items have been removed, the floor is clear, there is no missing furniture, the refrigerator, oven, dishwasher, and microwave are empty, and the cable box and remote control are present, and all garbage has been removed.
- Discard all trash in either a trash chute or dumpster. Do not leave trash in the hallways. Contact FIXit if your building's trash chute becomes clogged.
- Complete either a traditional or express check out before departing campus and make sure to return all keys.
- Return your ResNet equipment in the provided collection bags to Student Technology Services. Failure to do so may result in your student account being charged for replacement costs.
- Digital Cable TV boxes should be left in the room with two coaxial cables, one AC adapter and one remote control. Please leave these items connected near the cable TV jack.
- Do not pack items in black or other garbage bags. These items may be mistaken for trash and items taken to the dumpsters cannot be retrieved.
- Do not leave items unattended in lobbies or other common areas.
- Remember that the university is not liable for personal items left behind. Once students depart campus, any items left behind will be considered trash and properly disposed.
- Keep your GWorld Card in a safe place over the summer to avoid having to pay a replacement fee.
- Summer housing residents who are not vacating their rooms should remove all items from bathrooms and other common areas to allow for cleaning. If you move into a room that has not yet been cleaned, please place your belongings on top of your beds until cleaning is complete.
- If you’re graduating, consider obtaining an alumni GWorld Card and stay in touch with your alma mater through the Alumni Online Community.
HOW DOES EXPRESS CHECK-OUT WORK?
- Residents must pack and remove all their belongings from the room and leave the room in broom clean condition.
- Complete the Express Check-Out departure confirmation form available via GW Housing e-Services indicating an express check-out was selected. This form MUST be completed prior to returning your key.
- Residents with a room key must return it to the Key Depot or GW Housing office. It cannot be mailed back to the university. Any key(s) not returned at the time of check-out will be considered lost and the student will be charged a $150 re-core fee.
- Students who choose the express check-out option are not eligible to appeal any broom clean fees or damages charges related to move-out.
Please note: any items left in the room will be considered abandoned, will be disposed of, and the resident will be charged a broom clean fee.
To complete Traditional Check Out, students should first prepare their space for move-out by making sure it is broom clean and packing and removing all of their belongings. Having done those things, students contact the central checkout office in Amsterdam Hall (Foggy Bottom) or Somers Hall (Mount Vernon) to have CSE Staff walk-through their room with them.
Traditional Check Out is a more thorough move-out process. Students may wish to select this option if:
- They do not feel comfortable with the condition of their room;
- Their roommate has not yet departed and they’re not sure if they will clean the room before they leave;
- There are questionable damages to the room or you would like to take responsibility for a damage in your room;
- Furniture is missing that was there at the beginning of the year;
- The student is uncertain about potential damages and wants a staff member to examine the condition of the room prior to their departure;
HOW DOES TRADITIONAL CHECK-OUT WORK?
- Check Out Staff will be available between 9:30am – 8:30pm on May 8 – May 21 and from 9:30am - 12:30pm on May 17th and 22nd on the Foggy Bottom Campus. On MVC, Check Out Staff will be available 9:30am - 8:00pm from May 8 - May 16 and from 9:30am - 12:30pm on May 17th. After May 17th, students on the Mount Vernon Campus who would like to do a traditional check out should contact Philip Amsterdam Hall.
- The central check-out locations are in Amsterdam Hall (202-994-0547) for the Foggy Bottom campus and Somers Hall (202-242-6671) for the Mount Vernon Campus.
- Students must pack and remove all their belongings from the room before check out staff arrive and have the room in broom clean condition.
- The student will contact the central check out office and request a check-out staff member come to their room and perform a walk-through of the room. The check-out staff member will indicate areas of the room that may need extra cleaning or are likely to be assessed damage charges.
- The student will turn in their key(s), if applicable, to the check-out staff member and complete the departure confirmation form indicating a traditional check-out occurred prior to the student's departure.
- Enjoy your summer!
Please note, there will be a final inspection of your room once all residents have moved out. Any broom clean fees or damage charges will be based both on the walkthrough with the CSE staff member and the condition of the room during the final inspection.
When you move out of your room, please make sure to leave it in a “broom clean” condition; an industry standard in residential facilities management. This means:
- all personal items have been removed from the room, bathroom, common areas, and the hallway outside your door;
- the refrigerator, microwave, oven and freezer have been emptied;
- all cabinets, dressers, closets have been emptied; and
- all trash has been removed from the room/suite/apartment and disposed of properly.
If you have any maintenance concerns or issues in your room please submit a FIXit request today. Note: Submitting a FIXit request prior to spring move-out for a damanged item in your room DOES NOT mean you will not be charged for those damages.
Any student who wishes to take responsibility for causing damage to their room should either complete a traditional check-out or email GW Housing at email@example.com with their name, GWID, building, room number, a picture of the item they damaged and a letter taking responsibility for the damage.
Additionally, any student who does not return their key(s) at the time of check-out will be assessed a $150 re-core charge. Keys cannot be returned by mail.
Once all residents have moved out, your room will be inspected a final time and fees may be assessed and placed on your student account for the following:
- damage to the room beyond normal wear-and-tear
- not leaving the room in broom clean condition
- not returning room or mailbox keys
ANY Fees incurred WILL BE PLACED ON YOUR STUDENT ACCOUNT as follows:
- $250 per student fee for additional cleaning*;
- $150 fine for improper checkout fee (charged to any student who has not moved out by the date and time the residence halls close); and
- $150 per student for a missing or unreturned room key.
- Charges for damages to the room are assessed based upon the extent of the damage and is divided by the number of students in a room
- If a room has damages, the cost for repairing that damage will be split equally between the roommates unless one person takes responsibility for that damage. N
*The broom clean charge is a per student fine, it is not the cost of removing items and cleaning the room. Students will be notified by mid-June via their GW email address if they have any move-out related charges.
As students are cleaning and packing, take advantage of our Green Move-Out program in May, which provides students an opportunity to donate their unwanted items to non-profit organizations in the DC area.
For students who are assessed a damage charge or broom clean fine, there will be an appeal process.
- All students who wish to appeal a charge must appeal individually, one student cannot appeal on behalf of an entire room.
- Appeals based solely on the fact that a student was not the last person to move-out of the room will not be granted.
- Students utilizing the express check-out option are not eligible to appeal damage charges or broom clean fines.
- All communication regarding move-out charges will be sent to your GW email account
Want to know more about what Broom Clean is? Check out this video or these pictures!
Still have questions? Your Resident Advisors and House Managers are on hand for assistance.
When do I have to move out by?
All undergraduate residence halls close on May 17th at noon. Graduate residence halls close on May 22nd at noon. All students are expected to move out 24 hours after their last exam or the day that the residence halls close, whichever comes first.
What is the difference between traditional and express check-out?
An express check-out if a faster process where you complete your move-out form via GW Housing e-Services, return your key, and then leave. A traditional check-out includes a walkthrough of your space with a staff member where you can go over the condition of the room together. An express check-out is ideal for students who are leaving during times traditional check-out is not available or who do not have any concerns about the condition of their room. A traditional check-out is better if you have concerns about how your roommates will leave the room, would like to take responsibility for damage in the space, or simply want to walk through the space with someone. Regardless of which option you choose, all rooms will have a final inspection by staff once the residence halls have closed to ensure the room is in broom clean condition and that there are not any damages.
What if I am staying in GW Housing over the summer; when do I move into my summer assignment?
If you are staying in GW housing for the summer, you will transition to your new housing assignment on or around May 25, 2017. If you have questions or concerns regarding your transition, please contact Summer Housing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I want to stay a few extra days after the residence halls close?
Undergraduate students who are interested in extending their housing must request Extended Stay Housing through a department or via the online request form, available at GW Housing e-Services. Extended stay housing is available to graduating seniors and their siblings, students working for a GW department, student athletes who are required to stay beyond May 17th, and Green Move-Out volunteers.
Graduate students are not able to extend their housing beyond May 22, 2017 at noon.
Can I check out a blue cart?
Yes! Blue carts will be available daily beginning on May 8th at the GW Housing office in Amsterdam Hall during all hours that traditional check-out is available. A limited number of carts will also be available at the Mount Vernon Key Depot. You will need to provide an ID other than your GWorld cart which will be held until you return the cart. Due to the high demand for carts during move-out, only one cart can be checked out by each student.
What should I do with my keys?
If you are completing an Express Check-Out, return your keys to the Key Depot. The Foggy Bottom Key Depot will be open 24/7 during the move-out period and the Mount Vernon Key Depot will be open from 8AM-8:30PM daily. During hours the MVC Key Depot is closed, there will be a drop box available to leave your keys.
Students completing a Traditional Check-Out will return their keys to the staff member checking them out.
Keys cannot be returned via mail - make sure to return all room and mailbox keys prior to leaving campus!!
What if I am moving out, but one or more of my roommates are still here; do I have to clean the whole room/apartment?
Your individual space needs to be clean and all personal items must be removed before you depart (i.e., desk, dresser, closet, bed, trash removed). Additionally, equitable space in all common areas should be cleaned as well (kitchen, bathroom, hallways). Ultimately, if the space is left unclean all roommates could be assessed a broom clean fee.
Does everyone need to check-out, especially since my building has tap access and I don't even have a key?
Yes. Every residential student who is moving out must complete either the traditional or express check out processes.
I left my part of the room broom clean when I moved out, but my roommate then moved things into my space and left it there. How do I make sure I am not charged for this?
If you are concerned about what will happen in your room after you move-out, we highly encourage you to complete a Traditional Check-Out and also to take your own pictures of the space when you leave. Students who compelte a traditional check-out are able to appeal any move-out charges and showing the condition you left the room in will help with any appeal. Students who complete an Express Check-Out are not able to appeal any charges to the space.
How do I get my mail and packages once I have moved-out?
If you anticipate continuing to receive mail at GW, please ensure that you have updated your forwarding address in Banweb by May 1st and also change your address for any banking, credit card, or subscriptions you receive. Mail forwarding adds additional time to the amount of time it will take for you to get your mail.