Transfer Students

Transfer Student Housing Process

The George Washington University (GW) considers anyone who has graduated from high school and who has completed at least one college course since high school graduation to be a transfer student. Each year, we welcome nearly 350 new transfer students from more than 300 different colleges and universities.

Transfer Student Housing Application

Transfer students will apply for housing by visiting Campus Living E-Services. This application asks questions about your lifestyle preferences (bedtime, study hours, cleanliness, etc.), but you will not be able to make any building or room preferences.

Transfer students are able to make roommate requests and may also participate in Gender-Inclusive Housing, should they wish to do so. Roommate requests are granted when space is available and the requests are mutual. GW Housing will do its best to accommodate any roommate requests; however, we cannot guarantee we will always be able to do so.

Assignments are made on a rolling basis based on interests, lifestyle preferences, and availability. Once they have been notified of an assignment, students will be able to log onto Campus Living E-Services to view housing assignment and roommate(s) information.

Understanding How Class Level is Used

Housing eligibility is based on class year at GW, not on academic credits. Students can view their class year on Campus Living E-Services

What does a "Rising Class" refer to?

"Rising Class" indicates what class year a student will be in the next academic year. 

What is an RMS ID Number?

Each student is assigned a unique RMS ID by Campus Living. Students can view their RMS ID on Campus Living e-Services. Your RMS ID will be used to form your roommate group during the Housing Reapplication process.

Please note that a student's RMS ID Number is different from their GWId.

Registering for a Disability-Related Housing Accommodation

Students with specific disability-related needs may request consideration for and should work with Disability Support Services (DSS) prior to the housing application process to ensure that we are able to accommodate any specific housing needs.

Housing License Agreement

A student, as they complete an online application for GW on-campus housing, is required to review and affirm all of the terms and conditions of the Housing License Agreement (HLA). This legally binding document outlines the expectations and requirements of students living in GW on-campus housing. Important dates are defined in this document, as well as many policies which govern a student's rights and responsibilities.

Students and their families can access a copy of the Undergraduate Housing License Agreement. 

Any GW student can request a translated copy of a Housing License Agreement by emailing GW CLRE at [email protected]. We are happy to provide translated copies in the following languages: Arabic, Mandarin, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Russian, or Spanish.