Returning Students Housing Application Process
The George Washington University requires all first-, second-, and third-year students to reside on campus unless they are approved for a residency exemption. All rising second-year and third-year students for the 2022-2023 academic year are required to live on campus unless approved for a residency exemption. There will be no additional requirements for students to live on-campus during their enrolled fourth year after the university waived the campus living requirement for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Rising fourth-year students may participate in the reapplication process, but are not required to do so. Campus Living and Residential Education (CLRE) is unable to guarantee that every rising fourth-year student will be able to receive an assignment. If a rising fourth-year student applies and is assigned to on-campus housing, they are bound to the terms and conditions of the Housing License Agreement.
Housing at GW is based on on class year. This is determined using the year a student was admitted to the university, not necessarily the number of academic credits a student has.
2022-2023 Housing Application Process
CLRE is excited to release the details and processes for all current students to select their housing for the 2022 -2023 academic year. We know that deciding where to live on campus can be a daunting, and overwhelming task for students. This year we have worked to make the application process as smooth as possible and allow students greater choice in room selection. The on-campus housing process for academic year 2022-2023 begins in February 2022 for GW students currently enrolled in spring 2022. In addition to this overview, application information will be sent directly to eligible students via email.
2022 - 2023 Housing Selection Timeline
Each application will only be available for access during its "open" time period. Once a specific application closes, the application will become unavailable to students. When planning to apply for housing please ensure that you are applying within the right time period for your desired application option.
Residency Exemptions Request Period:
Open - Feb 7, 2022 at 10am EST --- Close Feb 10 2022 at 10am EST
Room Renewal Period:
Open Feb 15, 2022 at 10am EST --- Close Feb 24, 2022 at 10am EST
DSS Accommodation Application Period:
Open, Feb 15, 2022 at 10am EST --- Close Feb 24, 2022 at 10am EST
Rising 4th Year & Friends Application Period:
Open, March 1, 2022 at 10am EST --- Close March 8, 2022 at 4pm EST
Rising 3rd- and 2nd-Years Application Period:
Open, March 22, 2022 at 10am EST -- Close March 28, 2022 at 4pm EST
District House Affinity Application Period:
Open Feb 21, 2022 --- Close April 4, 2022
Fraternities & Sororities Application Period:
Opens March 25, 2022
Processing Housing Assignments
There is no advantage or reason to complete an action right when the application process opens. Applications are not processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. This means that if you apply in the first open minute, or the last open minute in a specific process the time your application is processed will not change.
Groups that fit perfectly inside of a room are prioritized in the 4th Year & Friends, and the 3rd and 2nd-year process. For example, a 4-person roommate group applying for a four-person quad would have priority over a 3-person roommate group applying for a four-person quad.
Preparing for Housing Application to Open
Here is information to help you prepare before the application opens for you:
- We will send you an email on your designated date to notify you that the housing application system is open to accepting your application. The email will include a dedicated link to access the application system.
- Please do not share the application email with your friends as they may not be eligible to apply for housing at that stage of the process. Your email is personalized to you, and will only work for you.
- To avoid overwhelming the system resources, our online portal application system only allows a limited number of students to enter the system at one time.
- If you log into the system and ‘The system is temporarily full’ text appears on the web portal page, please close both the application and your browser and log into the portal to try again.
- The system will remain open at all times. Please know that as long as you complete your application during the noted time periods as outlined above, the order in which you complete your application will not negatively impact your application.
View the 2022-2023 Housing Rates.
View our upperclass residence halls.
On your application, you will first preference the buildings where you would most like to live. You will need to indicate a minimum of three building preferences and may select up to the number of buildings that you preference. It is to your advantage to preference the largest number of buildings you are able to.
Please note: In order to provide students with a living space that meets the size of their roommate group, a student's room type preference will take precedence over their building preference.
Room Type Preferences
After selecting your building preferences, you will select the room type(s) that you prefer. Please remember: the room type you select should match the size of your roommate group.
The types of rooms you can preference include:
- 2-Person Unit
- 4-Person Unit
- 5-Person Unit
We strongly encourage roommate groups that are either 2 or 4 people large. There are very few three- and five-person rooms!
Individuals Not Part of a Roommate Group
Upperclass students who choose not to form or become part of a group of roommates can participate as an individual student.
If you chose to proceed through the application process as an individual, it is important for you to understand that applying for housing as an individual student does not mean that you are solely applying for single housing accommodations. Please be aware there are very few singles on our campus and you may not get the room or building of your choice and instead be placed into a roommate group if there are no single rooms available.
We will do our best to place you in a space that meets your building and room type preferences, but cannot guarantee that all preferences will be met.
You will be able to form roommate groups as a part of the 2022-2023 Housing Application. You will need to include the RMS ID of your preferred roommate(s) on your application.
- The person that starts the roommate group will become the “Group Leader.”
- The Group Leader should be the member with the highest class year. The higher the class year of the leader, the higher the preference in assignments will be.
- The Group Leader will invite others to join their roommate group.
- Invitees must complete their housing application to become a member of the roommate group.
- You cannot be a member or a leader of more than one roommate group.
- Students can form a roommate group with students who are not in their class year. However, upperclass students (classes of 2023, 2024, 2025) cannot live with first-year students (class of 2026).
- Unaccepted roommate group invitations are one of the biggest drivers of desired roommates not getting assigned in a room together. Accepting the roommate group invite is critical.
Roommate groups could be split up if the group size doesn’t fit with any available rooms that we have of that size. If a group is split up and wants to undertake a swap of assignments to create more ideal small groups, please contact us. We’re happy to facilitate swaps that are occurring as a result of roommate groups getting split up.
Studying Abroad: Fall or Spring Only Housing
Students abroad Fall 2022:
- If you are considering or unsure about studying abroad in Fall 2022 you should still apply for 2022-2023 housing, and then cancel your 2022-2023 housing once your study abroad plan/program is confirmed. You can then apply for spring 2023 only housing sometime in fall 2022.
- If you are certain that you will be studying abroad in Fall 2022 don't apply for 2022-2023 housing. An application for spring 2023 housing only will open sometime during fall 2022.
Students abroad Spring 2023
- Please apply for 2022-2023 housing. You will then cancel your spring 2023 housing sometime in fall 2022.
2022-2023 Housing Process Updates
February 1, 2022 | 2022-2023 On-Campus Housing: Announcing the Housing Process
February 2, 2022 | Annual Notice to Students with An Approved Residency Exemption
February 4, 2022 | Beginning Monday: 2022-23 Residency Exemption Request Period
February 14, 2022 | Beginning Tomorrow: 2022-2023 Room Renewal Period
February 14, 2022 | Applying for 2022-2023 Housing with an Approved DSS Housing Accommodation
February 14, 2022 | Introducing Your Meal Plan Options for AY 2022-2023
February 28, 2022 | Opening Tomorrow: The 2022-2023 4th-Years and Friends Housing Application