Returning Students Housing Registration
*This is an informational page for students currently enrolled at GW for spring 2023. The housing registration process for new, incoming first-year and transfer students will begin in May 2023.
The George Washington University requires all first- and second-year students to reside on campus unless they are approved for a residency requirement exemption. All rising second-year students for the 2023-2024 academic year are required to live on campus unless approved for a residency exemption.
Rising third- and fourth-year students may participate in the housing registration process, but are not required to do so. Campus Living and Residential Education (CLRE) anticipates being able to provide housing for every rising third- and fourth-year student who desired on-campus housing. If a rising third- or fourth-year student registers and is assigned to on-campus housing, they are bound to the terms and conditions of the Housing License Agreement.
Housing at GW is based on class year. This is determined using the year a student was admitted to the university, not necessarily the number of academic credits a student has.
2023-2024 Housing REGISTRATION Process
CLRE is excited to release the details and processes for all current students to select their housing for the 2023-2024 academic year. We know that deciding where to live on campus can be a daunting and overwhelming task for students. This year we have worked to make the registration process as smooth as possible and allow students greater choice in room selection. The on-campus housing process for the academic year 2023-2024 begins in February 2023 for GW students currently enrolled in spring 2023. In addition to this overview, registration information will be sent directly to eligible students via email.
Enter Campus Living eServices Portal
Giving You Greater Control Over Your 2023-2024 Housing: Choose Your Room Type
Campus Living & Residential Education is excited to announce a new way of selecting housing for the 2023-2024 academic year: Choose Your Room Type. During housing registration, students will have the opportunity to select their building and room type for themselves and desired roommates. Once all students select their room type, CLRE will assign students to specific rooms. Through this, CLRE aims to:
- Shift greater control back to our students
- Provide greater assurance of housing cost, prioritizing using process to help manage cost of living for students from low-income families and backgrounds.
Once the Room Renewal and DSS Housing Registration periods are complete, all remaining returning undergraduate students will go through the Choose Your Room Type Process. This period happens over two distinct steps and periods:
- Step #1: Complete Housing Registration Form. From February 27 to March 21, students will complete their housing registration form in their Campus Living eServices Portal by forming roommate groups, selecting their 2023-2024 dining plan, and signing their Housing License Agreement.
- Step #2: Pick Building and Room Type. From March 27 to April 19, students will be assigned a selection start time. At that designated start time, students will be able to go into their Campus Living eServices Portal to select their building and room type for themselves and desired roommates.
2023-2024 Housing Registration Timeline
Each registration will only be available for access during its "open" time period. Once a specific registration period closes, registration will become unavailable to students. When planning to register for housing please ensure that you are registering within the right time period for your desired registration option.
Room Renewal Period:
Opens February 7, 2023 at 12pm EST --- Closes February 22, 2023 at 4pm EST
DSS Housing Registration Period:
Opens February 7, 2023 at 12pm EST --- Closes February 22, 2023 at 4pm EST
Choose Your Room Type - Step #1: Complete Registration Form
Opens February 27, 2023 at 10am EST --- Closes March 21, 2023 at 10am EST
Choose Your Room Type - Step #2: Choose Building and Room Type
Begins March 27, 2023 -- Closes April 19, 2023 at 10am EST
District House Affinity Application Period:
Open Feb 27, 2023 --- Closes March 31, 2023
Fraternities & Sororities Housing Registration Period:
Opens Feb 27, 2023
Preparing for Housing Registration to Open
Here is information to help you prepare before housing registration opens for you:
- We will send you an email on your designated date to notify you that the housing system is open to accepting your registration. The email will include a dedicated link to access the registration system.
- Please do not share the registration email with your friends as they may not be eligible to register for housing at that stage of the process. Your email is personalized to you, and will only work for you.
- To avoid overwhelming the system resources, our online portal application system only allows a limited number of students to enter the system at one time.
- If you log into the system and ‘The system is temporarily full’ text appears on the web portal page, please close both the registration form and your browser and log into the portal to try again.
- The system will remain open at all times.
2023-2024 Housing Rates will be published in mid-February
View our upperclass residence halls.
You will be able to form roommate groups throughout the 2023-2024 housing registration process. You will need to include the RMS ID of your desired roommate(s) in your housing registration.
- The person that starts the roommate group will become the “Group Leader.”
- The Group Leader should be the member with the highest class year. The higher the class year of the leader, the higher the preference in assignments will be.
- The Group Leader will invite others to join their roommate group.
- Invitees must complete their housing registration to become a member of the roommate group.
- You cannot be a member or a leader of more than one roommate group.
- Students can form a roommate group with students who are not in their class year. However, upperclass students (classes of 2023, 2024, 2025) cannot live with first-year students (class of 2026).
- Unaccepted roommate group invitations are one of the biggest drivers of desired roommates not getting assigned in a room together. Accepting the roommate group invite is critical.
Roommate groups could be split up if the group size doesn’t fit with any available rooms that we have of that size. In the rare instance that a group is split up and wants to undertake a swap of assignments to create more ideal small groups, please contact us. We’re happy to facilitate swaps that are occurring as a result of roommate groups getting split up.
Individuals Not Part of a Roommate Group
Upperclass students who choose not to form or become part of a group of roommates will participate as an individual student.
If you chose to proceed through the registration process as an individual, it is important for you to understand that registering for housing as an individual student does not mean that you are solely registering for single housing accommodations. Please be aware there are very few singles on our campus and you may not get the room or building of your choice and instead be placed into a room with roommates if there are no single rooms available.
Studying Abroad: Fall or Spring Only Housing
Students abroad Fall 2023:
- If you are considering or unsure about studying abroad in Fall 2023 you should still register for 2023-2024 housing, and then cancel your 2023-2024 housing once your study abroad plan/program is confirmed. You can then register for spring 2024 only housing sometime in fall 2023.
- If you are certain that you will be studying abroad in Fall 2023 don't register for 2023-2024 housing. Registration for spring 2024 housing only will open sometime during fall 2023.
Students abroad Spring 2024:
- Please register for 2023-2024 housing. You will then cancel your spring 2024 housing sometime in fall 2023.
2023-2024 Housing REGISTRATION Updates
February 1, 2023 | 2023-2024 On-Campus Housing: Announcing the Housing Process
February 2, 2023 | Important 2023-2024 Guthridge Hall Update
February 3, 2023 | 2023-24 Housing: Annual Notice to Students with Approved Residency Exemption
February 3, 2023 | Renew Your Room Phase Begins Tuesday, Feb. 7
February 3, 2023 | Register for 2023-24 Housing with Your Approved DSS Housing Accommodation