Gender-Inclusive Housing


Gender-inclusive housing (GIH) allows students who identify as different genders or have a different biological sex to live together in one apartment or room.

All students assigned to a GIH suite must opt-in and have a mutual roommate request. This opt-in program will allow students of different genders/sexes to be assigned to the same room or apartment. During the housing selection process, students will answer “Yes” or “No” to the following lifestyle question about GIH: “I prefer to live in gender-inclusive housing." ONLY students who select “Yes” will be assigned gender-inclusive housing.

Students who do not opt-in or do not have a mutual roommate request will continue to be assigned to co-ed buildings by suite, but not to the same room.


The gender-inclusive housing option is not limited to a particular residence and will be available in any residence open to the student as determined by their class year. Students will simply answer affirmatively to the GIH question and indicate their preferred roommate(s) on their housing application.  As with any roommate match, all matches must be mutual.

This program is intended for students who wish to share a room or apartment with friends of a different gender or biological sex. It is open to students of all class years. As with any on-campus housing option, it is not intended for romantic couples. GW hopes that this housing option will provide a safe and inclusive housing opportunity for students who identify as transgender or gender non-conforming, as well as for any student who prefers to live with students of a different gender or biological sex than their own.

Students interested in this option must:

  • Communicate with their prospective roommate group and share RMSIDs.  Students should protect their RMSID as they would their keys and not share this ID number with students with whom they do not desire to live.
  • Complete the iHousing application during their designated application period, answering affirmatively to the question about GIH and indicating their preferred roommate(s).

Students will not be matched with a random opposite-gender roommate through this process. Please contact Campus Living and Residential Education if you are interested in gender-inclusive housing but do not have a requested roommate.

As with any roommate group, keep in mind that your intended roommate pairings must match the size of the rooms available to you.  For example, if you are a group of two, you should set your preference for a 2-person unit when you apply.

If one resident cancels or leaves during the year, the remaining resident(s) can request another roommate, or the entire space can revert to single-sex (based on the majority of students remaining in the room/apartment and the gender identity of the students residing in that space). This may involve housing reassignments for some students.

If a student has a conflict with a roommate because of differences in lifestyles or gender identity/expression, they should talk to their Community Coordinator or Area Coordinator. Another resource available to students is the LGBTQIA+ Resource Center.

Due to the unique nature of gender-inclusive housing, residents of these rooms are not able to participate in the online room swap process. Residents should contact Campus Living and Residential Education if they are interested in moving to a different room.