First-Year Admits

Welcome Home

Our staff is extremely excited to welcome the students and families of the Class of 2023 into our community. Our core mission is to build positive communities that empower our students to grow and develop as they engage in unique challenges and possibilities throughout their undergraduate experience. Our residence halls are a focal point of our institution's mission to further human well-being by offering a space of cultural and intellectual diversity that is the foundation for the exploration of new ideas. 

The George Washington University has 35 residence halls, eight Greek townhouses, and six small townhouses. First-year students reside on either our Foggy Bottom or Mount Vernon Campuses and have various opportunities to interact between both campuses throughout their undergraduate experience. Our Foggy Bottom Campus is located in downtown Washington, D.C., and is in a prime location because of its proximity to the White House, State Department, World Bank, and a variety of other institutions. The majority of academic classes are held on the Foggy Bottom Campus. Our 26-acre Mount Vernon Campus is just a short ride away from Foggy Bottom on the Vern Express and is located in the Foxhall neighborhood of Northwest Washington. With six residence halls, athletic facilities, and a variety of unique first-year resident academic experiences, the Mount Vernon Campus offers a tight-knit and supportive community for incoming first-year students. 

Beginning in late spring, all admitted students will be provided with information about first-year residence halls and the process of registering for housing. The first-year application period will be from May 21, 2019 - June 17, 2019; assignments are not made on a first come first serve basis. Any student who applies during this period has an equal opportunity of receiving their housing preferences. There is no deposit or reservation fee that must be submitted to the university. Students will be provided information about rates and options before the beginning of the housing application process.

GW Housing has partnered with RoomSync to provide an online roommate matching service for students. GW will send a link to access this service to incoming students' GW email address in late spring, or once they have deposited with the university., which will allow them to login to RoomSync if they are looking for a roommate. Through this service, students will answer lifestyle questions and be shown potential matches. They are then able to chat with them and confirm if they would like to match with that roommate. Once students have matched, they should exchange RMSID numbers so that they can make their roommate selection on the housing application. First-year students are able to request up to 5 roommates.

Students who have a need for a housing accommodation should review the Disability Support Services Housing Accommodation Policy and register with DSS prior to applying for housing.

First Year Hall Room Types

Understanding how Class Level is used by CLRE
Housing eligibility is based on class year at GW, not on academic credits. Students can view their class year on Campus Living e-Services

What does a "Rising Class" refer to?

"Rising Class" indicates what class year a student will be in the next academic year. 

What is an RMS ID Number?

Each student is assigned a unique RMS ID by Campus Living. Students can view their RMS ID on Campus Living e-Services. Your RMS ID will be used to form your roommate group during the Housing Reapplication process. 
Please note that a student's RMS ID Number is different from their GWId.

When applying, students answer statements about their lifestyle preferences (bedtime, study hours, cleanliness, etc.), and indicate any roommate preferences. Further instructions about completing the housing application can be found here. After completing the First-Year Housing Application, it can be changed and edited an unlimited number of times until the application closes.

First-year students are able to make roommate requests and participate in Gender Inclusive Housing, should they wish to do so. Roommate requests are granted when space is available, the requests are mutual, and all applicants are eligible for the halls/programs being requested. GW Housing will do its best to accommodate roommate requests; however, we cannot guarantee that we will always be able to do so.

When making building and room type preferences, we recommend students preference every option available on both campuses, in order of highest to lowest preference, unless they are part of an Academic Residential Community (ARCs). Students participating in ARCs do not select building preferences. Excluding a building or room type from your preference list does not mean that you cannot be placed in that type of room. Any buildings or room types not listed on the application are considered as your last preference.

Extra Long Bed Needs

If you are 6'3" or taller you may request an extra long mattress (80") by responding to the appropriate question on the housing application and by submitting a ticket on FIXit. On the FIXit form, at step 3, choose the “furniture” category in the drop down menu, then in the description, type in that you would like to request an extra long bed for your room. Be sure to inform your roommates that the extra long bed in the room is for you.

Campus Living and our partner offices provide numerous living options for students on both the Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses. A number of first-year Academic Residential Communities are located on the Mount Vernon Campus for students who are looking for an experiential living and learning experience.

Housing Assignment Notification

Students will be able to log on to GW Housing e-Services in early June to view housing assignment and roommate(s) information. Students who are dissatisfied with their housing assignment will have the opportunity to participate in the online Room Swap portal. Housing is expected to be at or near capacity when students are notified of their assignments so it is extremely unlikely that GW Housing staff will be able to find you a vacant space to move to if you are dissatisfied with your assignment.

It is possible that there will be a waitlist for housing for first-year students. As all first-year students are required to live in on campus residential housing, students who are placed on the waitlist are guaranteed housing and will receive an assignment.

How Does The Waitlist Work?

Historically, there has been a small waitlist of first-year students who have not been assigned when room assignments are initially sent out.

Because all first-year students are required to live in on campus housing, all first-year students will be assigned housing.

As space becomes available in the days after assignments are released, students placed on the waitlist will be the first to be assigned and will be assigned on a rolling basis. Any student who applies after May 14, 2018 will automatically be placed on the waitlist.

Students on the waitlist will be assigned a housing liaison and should work with that staff member to update their building and room preferences. In other words, students with very specific preferences (e.g., singles only, very few building or room preferences, or multiple roommate preferences) will have a more difficult time being assigned due to the nature of available spaces through cancellations.

GW Housing knows that being on the waitlist is not ideal and we are happy to answer any questions you may have about being assigned from the waitlist. Students on the waitlist typically receive an assignment by the end of July.



What do I need to do before I can apply for housing?

  • Make your deposit to The George Washington University; there is not a separate housing deposit required.
  • Retrieve your GWID
  • Activate your PIN
  • Create your NetID and GW e-mail address
  • More information can be found on the Admissions website.

Where is the First-Year Housing Application located?

  • The First-Year Housing Application will be available late April - mid-May via GW Housing e-Services.
  • The GW Housing e-Services link is always available on the GW Housing website.

What is my Net ID?

  • Your GW Net ID is a single username with a corresponding password that gives you access to the MyGW Portal, GWireless, GWemail, GW Calendar, Blackboard and other GW systems (here is a complete list). You can also use your NetID to request personal web space (Acad) or research space or to access computer labs on campus. Your NetID will be the portion of your GW e-mail address that precedes the @ symbol. (For example, if you create a NetID of janedoe, your GW e-mail address will be [email protected] if you are a faculty or staff member, or [email protected] if you are a student or alumnus.)
  • You can claim your NetID online at IT Support Services.
  • It will take 24 to 48 hours for your Net ID to be imported into the housing system. You will not be able to access your application until this has occurred.

How do I find my RMS ID?

  • You can find your RMS ID on GW Housing e-Services. Once you have logged in, select the "RMS ID Lookup" button.

I am having problems accessing the housing application.

  • Ensure that you that you have made your deposit to the university and it has been processed. This can take a few days.
  • Make sure that you have created a NetID and that you have waited 24-48 hours for it to sync with our housing system.
  • The application works the best on the Chrome browser. Make sure you are running the latest version of any browser you are using and that pop-up blockers are turned off.
  • If you continue to have technical issues, contact GW Housing at [email protected] or 202-994-2552. Our office is open Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm EST.

How does the housing assignment process work?

  • The housing system uses a random selection process, meaning that it will randomly select an application and then look at the preferences listed.  If your first preference is available at the time your application is pulled, you will be assigned to that space. If it is not available, the system will look at your next preference and see if that space is available and then assign you there. This process continues until you are assigned. If you have requested roommates, the system will assign you together as long as there are enough spaces together available.
  • The system will consider all unselected preferences as your last choice and place you into any available space. Not selecting a building or room preference does not mean that you will not be assigned there.

Are housing assignments made on a first come, first serve basis?

  • No, you can complete the application at any point before it closes and it will not affect the order in which you are assigned.
  • If you apply after the deadline, you will be assigned after students who completed the application on time.

Why do I have to list so many room preferences?

  • Selecting a higher number of room preferences gives you more control over where you are placed. If you have only selected three room preferences and they are all filled at the time your application is pulled, every other room type will be treated as your final choice and you will be placed into any available room. Having more room preferences means that our system has a better idea of your choices from top choice to last choice. If you do not list any preferences, you can get assigned to any space on campus.
  • Not listing room types on either the Foggy Bottom or Mount Vernon campuses do not mean that you will not get assigned there.
  • We also recommend thinking about the housing experience you would like to have. If it is important to you to be in a double room, then list all double rooms on both campuses before listing any larger rooms. If you would prefer one campus over the other, list all room types available on that campus before listing any from the other campus.

What are the most popular residence halls?

  • The popularity of residence halls changes from year to year and each residence hall offers a unique housing experience. Typically, double units in Foggy Bottom Halls and single rooms in West Hall are highly preferenced.

I am not happy with my housing assignment, how can I change rooms?

  • GW Housing has a system called Room Swap, which is designed to give you, the student, the chance to find and swap to the room you've been looking for. The Room Swap Process will allow students to connect with other students on campus looking to change rooms.  Room swap will be available beginning on assignment release day through the first Friday in August. It will then re-open after the first three weeks of each academic semester. The Room Swap process is available to all students wishing to swap room assignments who do not live in a specialty housing option.
  • These swaps are processed daily throughout the summer.
  • Housing will be extremely full for first-year students, so it is unlikely GW Housing staff will be able to move you into a different room on campus as we do not expect to have vacant spaces available in first-year halls.

Can I cancel my housing? Is there a fee?

  • First-,second-. and third-year students are required to live on campus unless they have been approved for a Residency Exemption.
  • Students are able to cancel their housing if they are not attending GW and there is no cancellation fee.
  • Students who cancel their housing after they have moved in will be subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the Housing License Agreement.

I need special accommodations for housing, what should I do?

  • GW Housing works closely with Disability Support Services (DSS) to find a configuration of space that fits the accommodation needs of students who have medical or disability concerns regarding their housing. Students must register with DSS prior to the housing application process.
  • Students who have other accommodations needs or questions should visit the Housing Resources page to find the correct staff person to contact.

Can I live off campus?

  • All first-, second-, and third-year students are required live on campus. However, there are situations where students do qualify for a Residency Exemption. Common situations include students commuting from home, student who are married, student veterans who are over 20 years old, and students who have children. For more information, please review the Residency Requirement policy.
  • Requests for Residency Exemption should be made prior to applying for housing and must be made before a student receives their housing assignment.