Room Change & Room Swap Requests
Students who wish to change their room assignment during the academic year have two options to pursue. First, students can utilize the Room Swap system. It is designed to give students the chance to complete a one-to-one person "swap" of assigned rooms by connecting students with other students on campus also looking to change rooms. The Room Swap Module will become available for all eligible students at 10:00am, on Monday, February 6, 2017 and will remain open until April 7, 2017. Students are highly encouraged to utilize this option first before proceeding to request a room change. The Room Swap Process Guide outlines the process and instructions of utilizing the Room Swap online module.
Students who have not had success in arranging a swap through Room Swap may schedule an appointment with a housing representative to discuss options for an academic year room change. Room changes refer to a student being reassigned to a vacant bed-space on-campus. Since room vacancies are limited throughout the academic year, students are encouraged to utilize Room Swap as it will offer them the most flexibility in locating a desirable room. Beginning on Monday, February 6, 2017, students may email GW Housing to indicate their room preferences and to check on the availability of vacancies. Requests will be considered until April 7, 2017.
For more detailed information on swapping or changing rooms, please review the options below.
Eligibility Rules for the Room Swap Module
- A room swap is between two people, mutually agreeing to swap housing assignments. The housing assignment of only the students swapping will be impacted, roommate(s) do not have their housing assignment impacted by a room swap.
- First-Year students may only room swap with other First-Year students.
- In the case of Mitchell Hall and West Hall, where First- and Second-Year students are housed, First-Year students will only see student profiles of other First-Year students.
- Second-Year students may swap with other Second-, Third-, or Fourth-Year students living on campus, other than students living in 1959 E Street or South Hall. Second-Year students are restricted from living in either of these locations.
- Third-Year students may swap with other Second-, Third-, or Fourth-Year students living on campus, other than students living in South Hall. Third-Year students are restricted from living in this location.
- Fourth-Year students may swap with other Second-, Third-, or Fourth-Year students living on campus.
- Students who live in Greek Housing seeking a change in their housing assignment should contact notify their Greek House Manager. Students who are participating in an Affinity Housing Program seeking a change in their housing assignment should contact their Affinity Group Coordinator first.
Room swaps are processed weekly on Thursdays and students are be able to during the upcoming weekend.
Some student populations are excluded from participating in the Room Swap Module:
- Graduate Students living in the Aston and CSE Resident Directors.
- Undergraduate Students living in Greek Housing (all locations); students assigned to District House Affinity Housing "Pods" (room numbers that contain a 'N' or 'S"); and CSE Resident Advisors.
- Exchange Students and Semester in Washington participant.
- Students participating in Gender Neutral Housing.
Our ability to accommodate room change requests is based on the availability of room vacancies on-campus. As such, the best means to seek a housing assignment change is to use the Room Swap Module prior to contacting GW Housing. Beginning on Monday, February 6, 2017, students may email GW Housing to indicate their room preferences and to check on the availability of vacancies.
To request a housing assignment change into a vacant bedspace, Students may email GW Housing if:
- Student knows of a specific vacant space in a location eligible to their class year.
- Student is otherwise restricted from using the Room Swap module and seeks a housing assignment change out of their current living environment (e.g. wanting to move out of Greek Housing into a space in residence halls).
There are two time periods when students will be able to change rooms for the 2016-2017 Academic Year.
- Fall Semester - beginning Monday, September 19 through Thursday, November 17, 2016
- Spring Semester - beginning Monday, February 6 through Thursday, April 27, 2017
Currently, GW Housing has the following types of rooms available on campus. Please email our office at email@example.com if you are interested in one of these types of spaces. Please note that the types of rooms listed indicate there there is a single vacancy in the room. There are not any fully vacant rooms available.
First-Year Student Spaces:
- Double Unit with Adjoined Bathroom on Mount Vernon Campus (Female & Male)
- 6-Person Unit with Private Bathroom on Foggy Bottom Campus (Female)
- 4-Person Unit with Private Bathroom on Foggy Bottom Campus (Female & Male)
- There are not any single rooms available at this time
Upperclass Spaces (all on Foggy Bottom campus):
- One Bedroom, 3-person unit (Female & Male)
- Studio, 2-Person unit (Female & Male)
- Double Bedroom, 4-Person Unit (Female & Male)
- Studio, 4-Person Unit (Female & Male)
- Studio, 3-person Unit (Female & Male)
- Double Bedroom with Adjoined Bathroom (Female & Male)
- Single Bedroom, 4- or 5-Person Unit (South Hall, Fourth-Year students only; Female & Male)
- There are no single apartments available at this time for second- or third-year students
Students must accept a room change by contacting GW Housing by Thursday at noon in order to move that upcoming weekend. During the academic year, Room Changes are processed every Thursday afternoon for moves beginning at 5:00 pm that upcoming weekend. Students will be sent an email with details regarding the move once the room change request has been processed. Room Swap or Room Change requests received after the weekly Thursday noon deadline will not be reviewed or processed until the following week.